My name is Alex Mason. I’m a student of investing, and I’m grateful to be your Stock Storyteller. In my early twenties I discovered the principles behind investing and financial independence and have been learning about how markets work ever since.
Though I’m passionate about investing, secretly, investing is just my latest outlet to learn about the world. It intersects with psychology, math, culture, science, philosophy, and the arts. It reflects my desire to be multi-disciplinary and to learn, do and teach as much as I can during my time on this Earth.
Speaking of other disciplines, I’m also an engineer. I graduated from MIT and Washington University in St. Louis, and have been practicing as an aerospace engineer for almost the past decade, with most of my work focusing on design and quality.
With the formalities out of the way, let’s get into the personal stuff:
- I’m married, no kids (at least not yet!)
- I don’t think I’ve ever admitted this to myself but the evidence suggests I’m somewhat nomadic. I’ve moved at least a dozen times in my life, and lived in several corners of America.
- When I was in high school I became obsessed with solving the Rubik’s Cube as fast as possible.
- As far as dessert goes, nothing beats chocolate ice cream with Reese’s peanut butter cups mixed in (I guess I was always predisposed to be a Hershey’s shareholder)
- I love books, particularly non-fiction.
- I’m very excited by new, thought provoking ideas.